Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A little town called Dalkey

Saturday, August 14.
We packed up and headed the 200km to Dublin for a few days.  It's the first time I saw a 120km/hr speed limit.  I know everyone drives at least that when the sign is 110km/hr back in Canada, but here the average car was going 140km/hr.  Good thing the speed limit wasn't any higher!  Actually, the "gard" aka police are barely seen on the highway.  I've seen 1 car pulled over so far.  Off track here, but interesting I think, is texting and talking on a mobile without hands free is illegal, and actually obeyed.  They have a lane on the highways for cars to pull over if they have to talk.  I think it's great.  So you'll be driving along, and all of a sudden the guy ahead of you swerves into the side lane and stops! I must say I get fidgety when driving because that used to be when I'd talk on the phone!  It's so quiet now!  Regardless of screaming kids in the back!  You do need your full attention in town driving, especially on the roundabouts.


Back to Saturday now, we stayed at a cute castle hotel, that will be in a future post.  Near the hotel at the bottom of the hill, is a cute heritage town called Dalkey.  We walked around, got lunch and enjoyed a little farmers market.



1 comment:

aleprechaun said...

I've been enjoying seeing Ireland through YOUR eyes!! A comment re the speedlimit and no 'garda' on the highway...what there IS, is hidden cameras "everywhere" ....so you see no 'garda' and don't know you've been 'caught' until you get a notice in the mail of the fine and the points put on your license!