Saturday, August 7, 2010

Give your kids an extra hug today.

How to word this.  All day my thoughts have been with the Johnson's, the interment is probably happening as I type this.  My heart goes out to Bill and Katie Ann soooo soooo much as 17 years ago, they lost a daughter battling a very rare cancer at the age of 15 I believe.  (You can correct me).  I remember that funeral vividly, the tears, sorrow, strength of the family, strength from God.  The oldest of 4 children gone.  Now the youngest at 26 years old is being laid to rest today.  How does one deal with having 2 of 4 children go before yourself?  We know God gives them never ending strength, love and comfort, they couldn't survive without it.

http://www.lethbridgefuneralhomes.com/obituaries/obit_details.asp?obitid=1402

As I think back over the past few recent years only, I can list many parents losing a child.  Cade & Angela, Phil & Renita, Don & Elise, Trevor & Carissa, Warner & Crystal, Jeff & Gri, ourselves and I know I've missed some, sorry, my mind just went blank.  Losing a child takes a piece of your heart away from you, yet you are brought closer than ever to Heaven.  Truly joy and sorrow interwoven.  I don't want to say much more, as I'll talk in circles, but, I tend to forget that our children are a very very special gift from God, and it's times like this that reinforce that that is exactly what they are.  A gift.


I want to love my children more and more everyday, I want them to feel the love, I want to hug them, treasure them, and be the best parent I can to them, my gifts.  I thank God every day for them, including my precious angel, Esmee.


I don't want to forget the siblings that have lost a brother or sister either.  Mason said the other day, "Our best friends are our brothers and sisters."  I thought that was so sweet.


Now go give your kids another hug!  :)


PS, since this was such a deep topic, I wanted to attach this link I appreciated from Leanna's blog a couple weeks ago.
http://lovinglifestewarts.blogspot.com/2010/07/treat-your-kids-as-if-you-didnt-have.html

P.S.S.  As I re-read this I notice I mention 'I' a lot, so I need to mention my dear hubby Ruben who has been such a rock for me through our sorrow, we faced it together.  And for his love that over flows for his children that he's not afraid to show it.  xoxo

1 comment:

Deena said...

Precious post, Lori, and you could add Kevin & Rosella to your list, with their little Alaina Rose who lived for 1 hour 21 minutes on January 6, 2000. A verse of one of the poems I wrote following her birth/death went like this: "A tiny beacon you've become in helping to point the way, and someday we'll more fully know why you were not meant to stay. Your sinless little soul is safe in a loving Father's care, and our purpose, with His help each day, is to one day join you there." They are gone, but never forgotten.