Friday, August 20, 2010

Duggan

Granny's grandfather, Winfred Duggan (please correct me if the fist name is wrong!) was from Ireland!  I have not done a big history search, yet.  


One thing I've concluded about the Lewis' now, is I know where their generous hospitality comes from.  The Irish blood!  I admit I don't know much about the English, but I've really felt the friendliness and hospitality from everyone here in Ireland.  I don't get that in England :)
What I did learn so far about the Duggan name is below.  I LOVE the motto :)


DUGGAN
The name Duggan, from the Irish O'Dubhagain, is mainly associated with Munster, although it is also quite common in Dublin.  O'Duggans are first recorded as living near Fermoy, but lost their territory during the Norman invasion, and were driven into Cork, Waterford, Tipperary and Galway.  The O prefix has been dropped from the name since the seventeenth century.
Location: Munster, Dublin
Motto: Sursum corda - Lift up your hearts

1 comment:

Mary-Louise said...

very interesting!! i did not know ireland was in the picture:) thought it was only england!!