Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Musings about Ireland - Food

Where to start!  I'm just going to ramble, no specific order, just what comes into my head!
It's different, but in a good way.  There is a lot of food we cannot get here, but that's OK, it's part of the experience.  The ONLY thing I missed, was the selection of gluten free mixes and pastas.  We brought with us a lot of rice noodles and gluten free pancake mixes, etc, so when we ran out, we were in withdrawals!  There are only a few things here, and very expensive.
There are only a handful of fast food places and even less with drive-thru's!  Seriously, I've seen maybe 10 drive-thru's in all our travels on this side of Ireland!  I must say I miss having a coffee drive-thru.  I think that is a business we need to start over here!  There are none!  Imagine, you have to get out of your car and go into the shop to buy a coffee :)
I have LOVED Tesco online grocery shopping.  With Ruben gone with the car during the day, the last thing I feel like doing by the time he gets home, is grocery shop!  I can't figure out why the grocery stores do not do this in Texas.  Safeway did in California.
Expiration dates on food average 2 days once you open the package, not 7 to 10 days!  Many many less preservatives in the food here, same for fruit and veggies.  So you just order a small amount twice a week so that the fruit and veggies don't go bad!
Another reason to shop often, most houses have small fridges!  Only the new ones have the big "American" size fridges.  The caretakers of these vacation homes brought us a second fridge that's kept in the main hallway.  That is handy!

Fruit and veg selection is less, root vegetables are used the most.
Roast meals with potatoes, carrots, parsnip/swede and sometimes yorkshire pudding (YUMMMMMMM) is a typical meal, especially if you have company.
The roast will either be beef or lamb, beef is grass feed, so it has a different taste to it.

Yogurt is different, creamier, I love it.
Eggs are never kept in the fridge!  Why do we do this in North America anyway?
Bread is big.  It is very common to have toast and tea for lunch.  Lots of biscuits (cookies), scones and pastries.  Here in Ireland they are known for Soda Bread.  Ruben loves it.  To me, it needs half the amount of baking soda!  So I'll just stick to the other lovely grain breads.  Bread doesn't last more than a couple days if sitting out.
No box macaroni and cheese!!!!  You may see 10 things on the shelf that are pre-made boxed pasta meals.  That's it!  
I've had a difficult time finding a cheese I like.  We've pretty much stuck to cheese strings!
The cereal isle is 1/3rd the size you'd see in North America.  Ireland should be proud!  Weetabix are a staple in houses, I quite enjoy them too!
Chocolate... even the cheaper brands taste like expensive chocolate.  It's just grand!
Custard is HUGE.  Forget ice cream with your dessert, it's custard on top.  A common dessert is trifle, but not as I knew it.  It's cake bits and fruit, set in jello.  Then custard and cream goes on top.  Tiffin bars I hadn't until here either.
Hamburger meat is called mince.
No Ranch salad dressing!
Ketchup is more like tomato sauce (no sugar) and more vinegary unless you buy good ole Heinz!
Chips are fries.  Crisps are chips.




My mind has now drawn a blank, I may keep adding to this post as I think of more things!





3 comments:

Andrea said...

How interesting! Those are the types of things you don't experience/learn until you live there. Sounds like you've adapted well though & it's been such an incredible experience for the boys.

sharmilla said...

I looooove learning about the little difference between cultures, especially when it comes to food!

Do they have the frozen Indian food entrees that Preya always told me about in Scotland?

Alison said...

Fascinating!