Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Musings about Ireland - the Accent and Irish Language

The accent has been fun to copy!  It's the "Th's" that make me laugh!  Most do not pronounce the "h" so Thursday sounds like Tursday...
Three like tree
Tree is tree
Thirty like terty
Thanks like tanks
Thanks a million is common so it's "tanks a million"


I can't figure out how to spell out how Truth is said!


"T's" in the middle of a word are silent. Water is wa-er.


I love saying this.  Meet me on Tursday at tree terty. Tanks a million!
Got it?!


Sayings we are not used to:
Not at all!  (Instead of No worries! or No Problem!  It is used all the time!)
Just Grand!
Lovely!
Being Bold!
Got a bit of the dose.  (Meaning got a bit of a cold)


The Irish language looks like Russian to us!  You cannot even try to sound it out.  You just have to know what letters make what sounds.  Like French is in Canada, you see it on all signs under the English.  I believe depending on where you are from, you pronounce it differently as well.


Failte is said like Fault  (This means welcome, you see it everywhere, very nice)
Tuam is said like Tomb


A lot of towns start with "Kil"  ie. Kilmore, Kilworth, Kilkogan, etc etc.  Kil means church.
And about the other half of the towns :) start with "Bali" which means valley.


And this is just the beginning, and I be adding more as I think of things.  And you kid Irish folk can leave comments with more that I can add as well!

2 comments:

tjp said...

Accents are great, eh?! : )
Your fun adventure is almost over...what a great culture exchange for you! I've enjoyed reading about all your experiences--sounds like an awesome time.

Alison said...

Have you come across the name "Quigley" or O'Quigley yet?