Wednesday, September 14, 2011

US Citizen I am!

Hard to believe that it's finally sorted and happened! 
It's an experience I will never forget!
We did not bring the boys to the interview and Ruben and Madelynne did not dress up, as I didn't really believe it would all happen yesterday.
I had already passed my first interview.  But I was flagged for a second one. My lawyer and I were stumped why, he wasn't getting answers previously and they wanted me to bring my passport.  Ok...
When Immigration runs checks on you, they are tapped into the US border control system.  One of my trips to Canada in 08, the system wasn't up-dated with my return date.  So Immigration thought I had been in Canada for over a year.  (You cannot leave the US for more than 180 consecutive days as a Landed Immigrant).  The re-entry stamp was in my passport tho!  So that problem was solved.  He even asked if I'd flown in a private plane alot.  The border control system goes WAY back!  It knew of flights in dad's private plane back when I was a kid!  Wow!
We found it funny that due to so much travel they were confused... not because of something crimal/sketchy that most cases pull up and then requiring a second interview!  Also us being official ex-pats kind of confused things too.  Verses when the process started, we had not yet moved.
I was very glad my lawyer came this time.  He was able to convince them with code "19??b point 5" that I should be sworn in the same day as well. 
After humming and hawing on Immigrations side, they agreed and my documents were drawn up and we could proceed!
Madelynne had been so good through it all.  The officer and lawyer voiced how amazed they were at how good she was.  Then as soon as the man who can swear me in arrives, Madelynne starts screaming for me at the top of her lungs!  So I have no clue what the officer said during the Oath of Allegiance, he was laughing as he was speaking, saying he was used to kids inbetween his lines, and eventually I said "I DO!"  Then the official hand shake and all was done!  Oh and then Madelynne stopped screaming!
Just wish my lawyer took better pictures!  They are pretty much all blurry, but still they are proof! 
Next step is to go to the US Embassy in Dublin to get a US passport.
I quite like the idea of having 2 passports!  :)  The officer mentioned Canadians have the hardest time giving up loyalty to their country!  Hummm, I think I believe that!









3 comments:

tjp said...

Oh, Yay!! Congratulations! I'm assuming you're a dual citizen?
Cute pics.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on getting your citizenship! Glad to hear all these formalities are done for the most part. It sure makes border crossing easier I imagine.
Your lawyer's camera skills relate to drivers license and passport pics! Ha!
Donna C

Aimee said...

Congratulations!