Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Musings about Ireland - Nationality's

2 things I thought interesting.  

First:  I never noticed until our trip when in a different country- that when you ask a Texan where they are from, they say Texas.  If you asked a person for Oregon or Montana, they'd say the United States or America.  Quite interesting and so not surprising eh!! (Hey I can type this and dig on Texans cause I married one!)

Second: 6 times with shop keepers this happened, and I was soooo impressed!
Shop keeper: Where are you from?
Lori: Texas, United States
Shop keeper: But you do not sound like an American, I thought you were Canadian.
Lori: I am Canadian!
I could just about hug them!  They get lots of tourists so I guess they pay attention to accents!  Very very rarely do I get asked if I'm a Canadian here in Texas.  Maybe just maybe if they hear me say "again" or "eh".  I'll never forget the driver instructor in California when I had to take a driving test there for a CA license.  He asked which side of the road we drove on in Canada.  I think he was even confused as to where it was.

I just really really appreciate people who know a bit more about other countries than just their own!

No comments: