Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Aunty Gwen

For the past week my thoughts have constantly gone back to thinking of Aunty Gwen.  Her funeral is tomorrow.  Thinking of the long and hard fight she fought with cancer.  Thinking of Uncle Neil missing his soulmate. Thinking of Jonathan, Jennifer and Jocelyn missing their mom.  Even though it is sweet release after the battle she fought, it's still his wife, their mom...


The day I found out about Aunty Gwen's passing, I read this blog of sweet Kohlie. Three Years Ago  It was 3 years to the day of Aunty Gwen passing due to cancer, that little Kohlie passed away from cancer.  I couldn't sleep that night.


Why?  Well... every day I worry that the tiny spot of cancer they found in the mass on Madelynne's arm when she was born, would return.  It scares me like crazy.  Yet I know anything can happen to any of us, we can't control every part of life.  But still, she's my baby and I worry and want her to have a healthy cancer free life.


Aunty Gwen called over a year ago, just before she had to go through yet more chemo and radiation, very tired and having a hard time wanting to fight anymore.  She was so concerned for Madelynne, I will always remember our long conversation because it meant a lot to me.  I know she kept up on Madelynne's health through my parents, and I know she was praying for Madelynne.


Being hours and Provinces apart, our families weren't overly close, but there is a lot of love :). It was always fun watching her chase after my brother to give him a welcome or good-bye kiss.  It makes me laugh just thinking of it now, Tyson squealing his head off!  I was always a bit envious of how she did Jennifer and Jocelyn's hair when they were little, lots of hairspray, very cute!  And their frilly dresses... Her voice was always happy, lots of expression.  


The picture was taken Oct 1, 2004, the night before our wedding.  Sad to say this is the last time we saw them... perhaps it's time for a Hagen reunion so that we have an excuse to get to BC to see that side of the family!  Great memories from every Christmas in BC with our Hagen relies.


My thoughts will be at the Glen Valley convention grounds in British Columbia, at 10AM PST tomorrow, Thursday July 28th.  Wish we could be there.  Sending lots of love to Uncle Neil and my cousins, etc.

4 comments:

DK Campbell said...

Thinking of you Lori... Sending love and hugs to all...

Del, Kari, Kyle, Kolby and Kate

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the picture and memories Lori. Gwen and her younger sisters were still in high school in 1958 when we moved from Drumheller to Peachland. We met together for years in Kelowna then went to their folks for Sun mtg in Summerland. Lots of laughter, fellowship, and hospitality are an earmark of the Shentons.
My thoughts also were at GV this morning. Good thing memories and prayers can cross the miles so quickly!
Donna C

Andrea said...

Sorry for your loss....thinking of you & your family today.

Angela said...

Wow, Lori!! Amazing how dates work, huh?!! Did you realize that Heather Boyd's b-day is on the 16th as well?! You prob. know that, anyway... thinking of you!